Snow and Ice Things to do – suggestions
This is not an exhaustive list, but just some options for things to do that we have found are what most of the people do most of the time and so what we tend to plan for. Very much depends on weather and deployment of instructors. Most activities will require keeping warm.
It helps us to know what you want to do
High level mountain walks
Munro or Corbett bagging in the snow and ice. Plenty of opportunity for learning about winter stuff if you want (eg ice axe and crampons, avalanche awareness). This year we are keen to get further afield as well as the usual northern corries.
- Cairngorm & Carn Lochan (Munro)
- Ban Macdui (Munro)
- Bynnack Mor (Munro)
- Braeriach (Munro)
- Scurrons Ridge – Glen Feshie (Munro)
- Beinn Mheadhoin via the Shelter Stone
- Drumocther East & West (Munros)
- Creag Meagaidh (Munros)
- Laggan (Munros)
- Lochnagar (Munros)
- Monadh Liath (Munros)
- The Fara (Corbett) - Dalwhinnie
Being a hairy mountaineer is not everybody’s thing. A break from the demands of big icy mountains. Maybe a smaller hill(s) or a valley walk.
Medium Level Mountain walks
- Meall a'Bhuachaille –Glenmore ridge (Corbett)
- Meall a Bhuachaille and Creagan Gorm from Glenmore (Corbett)
- Geal-charn Mor –Aviemore (Corbett)
- Geal Charn –Nethy Bridge (Corbett)
- Cromdale Ridge (Grahams)
Low level walks
- Glenmore to Nethy Bridge via Ryvaon
- Glenmore Forest
- Abernethy Forest?
- Rothimuchus Forest – Loch Eilien
- Rothimuchus to Glenmore via Charlamain Gap
- Loch Morlich - Glenmore
Still involving a mountain walk and probably a heavy rucksack.
- Introduction – Top roped winter climbing
- Gully climbing – Coire Schneada – Aladdins Couloir, Jacobs Ladder, The Runnel, Goat Track Gully, Fiacaill Couloir. Coire an Lochan
- Ridge Climb – Fiacaill Ridge
for those looking at gaining more winter skills for own benefit or towards a permit. Still involving a mountain walk and probably a heavy rucksack.
- Navigation days
- Snow skills
- Permit Accessments
We usually put on the opportunity to go sking for a day where we sort discounts for lift passes etc. If you want to do more then let us know.
Piste skiing at Cairngorm or the Lecht Fine if you can, people can show you if you can’t.
Additonal cost needs to be booked in advance
Possibly the best bet if its dumped loads of snow down. We take our own gear up, but we sometimes need to hire more. • Glenmore Forest • Slochd Carrbridge Potential additional costs and equipment availability.
For experienced skiers only – minimum standard Red runs Extra cost if equipment available.
Feel the need to get further into the mountains or just fancy a night away from the madness. Still may involve a mountain walk and probably a heavy rucksack.
- Bothy - Low and High Level Ryvoan, Ruaitichan, Corrour, Garb Coire
- Camping - Low and High Level
High Level Still involving a mountain walk and probably a heavy rucksack.
- Snow hole trip – Walk upto snow hole site, build snow hole stay overnight walk out.
- High level mountain expedition using snowholes.
ONLY If Meteorologically challenged
- Climbing wall
- Mountain biking
Have we missed something?
As said at the beginning this is not an exhaustive list, but is based on what we have found people wanted to/have done in the past. We do have limiting factors of Weather, Instructors, equipment, transport etc which need to be taken into account. However if you feel we’ve missed an activity or you have a specific objective then let us know and we’ll try to accommodate if feasible.